Today is the other day I need to be able to cook from what I have in stock. When I made my inventory list, I neglected to mention what I have in my freezer. Lucky me, I have a couple of frozen balls of pizza dough, ready to be man-handled, from a sale a few weeks back! As I mentioned, substitutions should be easy, so I’ll be using the 6-cheese Italian blend of shredded cheese I have on hand.
Broccoli and Cheese Calzone
Recipe from MyRecipes.com
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup ricotta
- 4 ounces mozzarella, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a small pot. Place broccoli in a steamer basket, place steamer basket in pot, cover and steam until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool slightly, coarsely chop, and place in a medium-size bowl. Stir in garlic, ricotta, mozzarella and egg yolk; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide pizza dough into 4 portions and use a rolling pin to roll each into an 8-inch circle. Place a quarter of broccoli mixture in center of a round, fold dough in half, and then seal by rolling edges together toward center and crimping. Using a sharp knife, cut two small slits in top of calzone to let steam escape. Repeat with remaining dough and broccoli mixture. Brush calzones with olive oil.
- Mist a large, rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place calzones on baking sheet and bake in center of oven until golden and risen, 13 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately, with warm tomato sauce on the side for dipping, if desired.